Many customers have already experienced such a situation! You have summer the blinds just a piece lowered so that the sun does not shine in your eyes and forget the shutter again to pull up.
Already it has happened! The disc is cracked. But how does it happen?
Glass as a super cooled melt is one of the brittle materials that no plastic deformation (such as metal) allow. Exceeding the elastic limit by thermal and / or mechanical effects, will result in wheel breakage.
Due to today’s manufacturing methods stresses are avoided. Glass breakage usually arises by external factors and is therefore generally not a defect. Always carries the risk of breaking the one who has custody, the glass breakage time. Therefore, protect your insulated glass unit with appropriate measures.
Wire glasses and absorbing glasses in combination with insulated by reason of their unique physical properties in mechanical and thermal stresses of increased risk of fracture. The following recommendations should be considered.
Absorbing solar radiation glasses take on stronger than normal bright glasses. Thereby thermal stresses are generated by:
- Cooling effect of the glass panels and a drop shadow, and by
- Heat build-up due to inadequate ventilation occurs.
These voltages are considered prerequisites lead to intakes from the edge disc.
It is therefore important, especially for glass that are directly exposed to the sun, the following guidelines:
- The glasses should be shaded or completely free from shadows.
- Adequate, unobstructed ventilation is ensured.
- The frame material and the retaining strips should be the degree of absorption of the glass adapted.
- The expansion and movement possibilities of the glasses must be preserved. Restraint must be reliably prevented.
Can be in the particular application for glazing not meet the above criteria, the increased risk of fracture at absorbing glasses are reduced by the use of (ESG).
In addition, for small-format discs with a disc space (SDR) should be> 16 mm and an unfavorable aspect ratio for asymmetrical wheel design be the thinner pane of safety glass (TSG).